Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the remedies?

A: The remedies imposed against dumping are Anti-dumping Duties. Remedies imposed against the Subsides are known as Countervailing Duties. Safeguard Remedies are in the form of tariffs and quotas.

Q: How long is an investigation?

A: A dumping or subsidies investigation shall be completed within 180 days ( or 305 days with extensions). Safeguard investigations shall be completed within 180 days (or 270 with extensions).

Q: How do I apply for an investigation?

A: Call the Anti-dumping and Subsidies Commission and request an application kit.

Q: What is a Safeguard Measure?

A: A Safeguard Measure can take the form of a quantitative restriction (quota) or a duty.

Q: How are Safeguard Measures Applied?

A: They are applied to ALL imports of the product in question irrespective of the countries in which it originates or from which it is exported.

Q: Can the domestic industry seek the help of the Commission in preparing its submission?

A: It is the responsibility of the affected industry to prepare and submit an application. The Commission will offer advice.

Q: What are other International Trade and Trade-related Organizations?

They are:

World Trade Organization (WTO)

The World Trade Organization (WTO) is located in Geneva Switzerland. The WTO, the successor to the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) Secretariat (1948 – 1994) was established on January 1, 1995, following the end of the Uruguay Round of Multilateral Trade Negotiations. On March 9,1995 Jamaica became a member of the WTO. Currently, all CARICOM Member States are members of the WTO with the exception of the Bahamas and Montserrat. The website for the WTO is .

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade (MFAFT)

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade (MFAFT) has responsibility in Jamaica for coordinating the work related to the WTO. Jamaica’s Permanent Mission in Geneva is accredited to the WTO and Jamaica’s Permanent Representative is Ambassador Gail Mathurin. Some agencies with responsibilities related to Trade fall under the Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce, such as the Anti-dumping and Subsidies Commission which has responsibility for the administration of Trade Remedies in Jamaica. The website for MFAFT is .

Q: How do I get more information about International Trade and Trade Remedies?

A: Consult with a lawyer or other professional who practices in the area of international trade or commercial law and/ or contact the Commission for more details.